Friday, August 17, 2012

Glitter on my Keyboard

As I sit here writing this blog post, I am literally covered in glitter. Glitter from 7 tiny hands making seven tiny craft hearts. There were more than a few deviously smiling 4-year-olds who thought their teacher might like some of their spare sparkles showered on her today. I love my children at Mountview Christian Preschool, but I am also a human. More than once, I found myself complaining over the fact that we decided to use glitter during crafts. Cleaning up their little "gifts" took more than the usual amount of paper towels, cleaner, and hard work.

But, much like my preschoolers, God has showered me with blessings this week. These circumstances taught me an important lesson and caused me to rejoice gladly to the Creator of everything blessed.

*  *  *  *  *
Blessing #1: A prayer

I am privileged to teach violin to a wonderful Christian family with 5 children, 4 of whom are my summer students. This past week at their lesson, I was speaking with a family friend (Cindy) who is often at the house visiting while I'm teaching. I mentioned that I was struggling with how to use my gifts and time in a more focused ministry. After I taught the lessons, Cindy stopped me to ask if she could pray over me. She had felt the Lord leading her to do so. I can't tell you the details of her beautiful prayer over me, but let's just say that her words sent shivers down my spine. I could physically feel the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Blessing #2: A friend

Debbie is a teacher's aid recently moved to Ohio from West Virginia. Her smile is full of warmth, and her manners are the model of hospitality. She was made to care, and care she did this past summer. Both for the children we both worked with, and for me as her co-worker. Debbie was such a blessing to me this summer at the preschool. She always had an encouraging word to say and a willing heart to serve. I was touched when she gave ME a gift on our last day of work together. A beautiful journal - we had discussed our mutual passion for writing - and a lovely beaded box for my dorm room. I truly felt loved after receiving these gifts, but more than that, I felt blessed that God had placed such a wonderful example of a godly woman in my life. My time with Debbie this summer will forever be a treasure to me.

*  *  *  *  *

I tried my best to de-glitter myself after I arrived home from work. However, just when I thought I had removed all that stubborn glitter, I opened my computer to find that even my keyboard cover had little spots of glitter covering my well-worn keys. Suddenly, a smile broke over my lips. How could I be complaining about a little glitter, when my Savior has literally covered me in blessings?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use complete sentences. (Just kidding).