Friday, May 20, 2011

Graduated!


My Graduation Speech

Homeschooling takes a lot of commitment, as most of you here well know. There’s a reason that homeschooled mothers start dropping like flies and sending their kids to school around 6th grade, or High school. It isn’t easy to parent a child and also be responsible for their entire education; it’s especially difficult if your child happens to be anything like me. I admit that I did hide my cursive
book till mom forgot about it (and we found it a few months ago), and probably spent more time naming my math blocks then actually learning with them. But tonight, on my graduation, I would like to honor the amazing commitment and accomplishment of my parents, and to encourage the other parents here tonight.
Even though our family has made it to the end, these past twelve years have not been without their hard times. One school day when I was in 3th grade, I remember walking up stairs and encountering my mother. It was 3 in the afternoon, we all still had our pajamas on, and we hadn’t done any school in nearly two weeks. My mom looked at me and asked, “honey, do you think we should do some school today?” Well, of course I was not to fond of the idea, so I replied “no” expecting mom to make me do it anyways, but it must have been a hard two weeks because my mother merely shrugged and said, “Ok…we’ll do it another time.”
But despite these difficult times, my parents never gave up and for that I am very glad. Homeschooling is truly wonderful, but it would have never been possible without my parents’ instruction in academics, as well as their faithfulness in teaching me how to walk in the ways of Jesus.
I would first like to thank my dad for changing his mind about homeschooling. I know at first you thought Mom has lost her mind, when she asked to try, but you supported her anyways. By the time I reached Middle school, you were helping me dissect frogs and worms when mom got grossed out, and you were enjoying it. I would also like to thank you for working so hard, so that mom could stay home to teach us.
But, I would like especially to thank my mom; She is a truly amazing woman. I cannot believe how much time and effort you sacrificed to give me the best education possible. You were there to patiently teach me concepts I didn’t understand and to give me hugs when I cried over math (which was probably once a week). You pushed me to do my best, and even though I didn’t always enjoy that, it has paid off. Your selfless attitude in educating me, and especially your faith in Christ, have inspired me and changed my life.
            Lastly, I want to thank my Savior Jesus Christ. He took my parent’s decision to Homeschool, and made it a beautiful picture of how He works in the lives of men.  To quote King David, “Whom have I in heaven but You? And earth has nothing I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:25-26)
            I thank God for the parents he has given me and their willingness to persevere through homeschooling me. I love you both!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use complete sentences. (Just kidding).