Friday, March 25, 2011

You've Got to S-M-I-L-E

(This post is from my old blog that I started at the beginning of the school year. Enjoy!)

Like most other high schooler in the US, I have done my fair share of groaning about going back to school this year. After all, who wants to quit texting their friends to do homework, or give up facebook to work on a project? Who, in short, wants to be disciplined when they've spent almost three months doing things that seem more fun?

I was a particularly sad to see the summer gone and particularly anxious about the ensuing school year for a few reasons. First, this is has been one of the most amazing summers of my life! I went to two music camps, started watching the (extremely) addicting TV show 24, and
made some amazing friends from all different parts of the world! Coming off of such a wonderful three months and facing school again has made me very grumpy. 

(Me and my friends from camp watching "24." As you can see, it was pretty intense.)



Another reason is that  I have been anxious is...duh duh duuuuh...senior year! 
Submitting applications, writing essays, going on visits, and wishing fervently that I were a freshman far far away from my house, are all symptoms of the disease most call senioritis. Other symptoms include extreme stress, no time for anything but homework, learning to sound like a magnificent person on one piece of paper for a resume, etc.

But, despite these hardships, talking to one of my good friends lately helped me put things into prospective. Sure, it's a hard time right now, but this is my last year to hang out with my high school buddies, last year to have good times with my family, last year to have the luxury of not paying for my own stuff. 

I certainly am not having very much fun right now, but if I keep looking on the downside, then my glass will always seem half-empty. I want to enjoy my senior year! I want it to be fun and memorable...not dreary and stressful. How am I going to accomplish this? As Shirley Temple sang in one of her songs, "You've got to S-M-I-L-E to be H-A-P-P-Y." Mix this with some fruits of the spirit (e.g. love, joy, peace, patients, etc.) and you have got a great recipe for being content!

So, "just keep your chin up and give it a try." Chances are you will find some of those silver-lined clouds in the sky Shirley was talking about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use complete sentences. (Just kidding).