Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lord, Teach Me to Pray

My prayer lifeto put it lightlyis fairly dismal sometimes. I've always seen prayer as some ambiguous religious ritual that was required of me, by God, so I could "hear from him." As a child, I found myself constantly confused that I never "heard God's voice" and when I told my mother that I did not think you could hear God, she would always seem concerned about my lack of supplicatory understanding. Surely, I was missing something.

Yet even then, no one could really explain to me what the model prayer life looked like. I heard the following quote and could immediately relate. Maybe you will feel the same way.

"When it comes to prayer...we all struggle in different ways. Years ago, I sat down to think through some of my frustrations with prayer and perhaps some of these will describe you. I've said things like:

  • I wrestle with prayer
  • I struggle with prayer
  • My prayer life is weak
  • All my prayers sound the same
  • I know I should pray more
  • I don't know how to pray
  • I fall asleep when I pray (How many of us can say, 'yes, I fall asleep when I pray!')
  • Prayer is boring
  • I tried, but I just can't pray
  • I used to pray, but it didn't work

I doubt anyone of us in this room would stand up today and say, 'I have the model prayer life and I  can tell you exactly how to do itthe perfect waybecause I never have any of those experiences or feelings. And my prayer life is textbook.'"

This is from a sermon by Michael Easely of Fellowship Baptist Church, and I highly recommend you take the time hear his message (click the link below). This talk radically changed how I thought about prayer; it was truly a beautiful message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use complete sentences. (Just kidding).